Code of Conduct Policy
- Under the provisions of Chapter 43 of the Wisconsin State Statutes, specifically section 43.52(2), the Hartland Public Library Board of Trustees may enact regulations that serve to insure the safety of all library staff and patrons, protect the materials collection, and maintain order in the library. This policy is designed to preserve a reasonably quiet and safe atmosphere where library patrons may use library services and materials without disturbance.
- Inappropriate behavior in the library infringes on the rights of all patrons to enjoy and use library services. This type of behavior includes any activity that disturbs others, interferes with library operations, damages the building, furnishings or computers, as well as rudeness, profanity or any other behavior generally considered unacceptable in a public place.
- This policy has been established for all patrons. If a patron is not responsive to the needs of other library users or disregards the policies protecting patrons, staff, and library property, the patron will be asked to leave the library. A brief written report of any incident involving theft, vandalism, illegal activity or major disruptive behavior will be filed with the Library Director as soon as possible after its occurrence.
- The Library Director, acting on behalf of the Board of Trustees, may suspend the library privileges of any individual who willfully violates library regulations when the severity or continued reoccurrence warrants such action. The Library Director will inform the Library Board of any such action taken.
- The person whose library privileges are suspended shall be advised in writing of the suspension and the reason(s) for such action. Should the offender be under the age of 18 his or her legal guardian will also be sent written notice. The offending person shall be informed that the suspension may be appealed at the next regularly scheduled Library Board meeting.
- No smoking is allowed anywhere inside the library building or on the library entrance porch. Smoking shall mean inhaling, exhaling, burning or carrying any lighted or heated cigar, cigarette, pipe or any other lighted or heated tobacco or plant product intended for inhalation, including hookahs and marijuana, whether natural or synthetic, in any manner or in any form. “Smoking” shall include the use of any electronic delivery device that creates an aerosol or vapor, in any manner or in any form, or the use of any oral smoking device for the purpose of circumventing the prohibition of smoking in this policy. “Electronic delivery device” shall include any such device, whether manufactured, distributed, marketed or sold as an e-cigarette, e-cigar, e-pipe, e-hookah or vape pen under any other product name or descriptor.
Any person who is asked to leave the Library as a result of the violation of these guidelines and refuses to do so shall be considered to be trespassing and may be subject to permanent exclusion from the Library and/or arrest. Any patron whose privileges have been denied by the Library Director may appeal the decision to the Hartland Public Library Board of Trustees.
Adopted 05/14/09; revised 04/12/18, 2/11/2021