Click to Home
Go To Search
HomePrintEmailFacebookTwitter
Hartland Help Center
Carbon Monoxide
Carbon Monoxide Not Just a Good Idea, But the Law!

Carbon Monoxide, a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas which is toxic to humans in concentrations greater than 35 ppm is a product of incomplete combustion of organic matter. On average 170 people in the United States die every year from CO poisoning which is produced by non-automotive consumer products.  In many instances individuals may become ill and require medical intervention. Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, mental confusion and on high level concentrations include loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness and ultimately death. 

Prevention of CO poisoning includes making sure that all fuel burning appliances are installed, vented and operating properly. In addition making sure all precautions are taken when devices may produce CO. One of the most important things that can be done is by installing a CO detector. This is so important that the Wisconsin State Legislation now requires installation of a carbon monoxide detector in all dwellings where carbon monoxide may be produced including one and two family dwellings.

As the cool weather approaches and we begin using our heating equipment, garage doors are kept closed when starting vehicles and fireplaces are started up, it becomes more imperative that we are more conscious about CO prevention and make sure that CO detectors are installed and operating properly.
 
For more information on the installation and maintenance of a CO detector contact the Hartland Fire Department. 262-367-6878

 
 


Hartland Fire Department
150 Lawn Street
Hartland, WI 53029
Ph: 262-367-6878
Fx: 262-367-4881
Emergency:
911
Email
Follow the Hartland Fire Department on Facebook!

Weekday Hours
Monday - Friday
6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Staff Directory