Click to Home
Go To Search
HomePrintEmailFacebookTwitter
Hartland Help Center
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips
WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is often called the "silent killer" because it is tasteless. Symptoms often mimic the flu without a fever and can include dizziness, severe headache, nausea, sleepiness, fatigue, weakness and disorientation.

Anytime a fuel-burning appliance malfunctions or is improperly installed, CO can quickly reach dangerous levels in the home, leading to injury or even death.

The only safe way to detect carbon monoxide in your home is to install a CO alarm.

POTENTIAL SOURCES OF CARBON MONOXIDE
  • Car left running in garage
  • Portable generators
  • Corroded or disconnected water heater vent pipe
  • Portable kerosene or gas heaters
  • Cracked or loose furnace exchanger
  • Improperly installed kitchen range or vent
  • Operating a grill indoors or in garage
  • Gas or wood burning fireplace

Protect Your Family From "The Silent Killer"
  • Install at least one UL listed battery-powered, hardwired or plug-in CO ALARM (with battery backup) on each level of your home and near sleeping areas.
  • Install fuel-burning appliances properly and operate them according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • Have a licensed professional inspect the heating systems and other fuel-burning appliances in your home annually.
  • Do not use charcoal or gas grills inside or operate outdoors near a window where CO fumes could seep in.
  • Do not block or seal shut the exhaust flues or ducts used by water heaters, ranges and clothes dryers.
  • Have all fireplaces cleaned an inspected annually and keep chimneys clear of animal nests, leaves and residue.
  • Do not leave your car running in an attached garage or carport.

 

Replace CO Alarms every 7 years!