Possible Proof of Residence Documents
What are examples of government agencies who can issue Proof of Residence documents?
This is not a comprehensive list. These are only examples of units of government.
- Local units of government include: city, town or village clerk or treasurer's office, your county clerk or treasurer, and many others.
- State units of government include: Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV or DOT), Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR), Dept. of Workforce Development (DWD), Dept. of Human Services, and many others.
- Federal units of government include: Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Medicare (not second party vendors), Social Security, and many others.
What are examples of Proof of Residence documents issued by a government agency?
This is not a comprehensive list. These are only examples of proof of residence documents.
- Fishing and hunting licenses
- Vehicle registrations
- Food stamps, Wisconsin Works, Wisconsin Shares, and BadgerCare notices and correspondence
- Medicare notices and Medicare Explanation of Benefits (not from 2nd party providers or other health insurance providers)
- Social Security and SSI notices and benefits statements
- Public high school, technical college, and public university correspondence and documents, including: admissions correspondence, financial aid notices, report cards, and schedules
- Federal student loan correspondence and notices
- Billing statements and collection notices from a governmental entity
- Correspondence from a federally recognized Native American Tribe living in Wisconsin
What if I am unsure if my document will qualify?
If you are unsure if your document will qualify as acceptable proof of residence, please contact:the Village Clerk.