Internet and Wireless Network Policy
The Hartland Public Library Board has established this policy to provide guidelines for the use of the Internet by patrons within the library. Please note the following:
- Use of an Internet access computer is on a first come, first served basis. Usage will be limited to two hours per person per day.
- Users must possess a valid library card from the Hartland Public Library or another library in the Waukesha County Federated Library System to use the Internet. Library cards are not valid if fines exceed $5.00. Patrons using the library who are not eligible for a Hartland Public Library card may use a guest card with appropriate identification on a limited basis. Users under the age of eighteen must have a parental permission form signed in the presence of a staff member and kept at the library. The Hartland Public Library assumes no responsibility for Internet usage by children. It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian to monitor Internet usage for their child.
- It is expected that the internet will be used for educational and informational purposes only. No unauthorized, illegal or unethical usage will be tolerated. No changes to the setup or configuration of the hardware or software will be allowed. While the user's right of privacy will be respected, the library staff reserves the right to monitor use of the workstation to ensure that policy restrictions are being followed. Users will not be allowed to download anything to the hard drive of the computer. Any misuse of a library computer will be deemed vandalism and may result in suspension of privileges or legal action.
- The Hartland Public Library has no control over the accuracy of information accessed through the Internet, and cannot be held responsible for its content. The library is not responsible for equipment malfunction or operator error. The library assumes no responsibility for any monetary transactions conducted on a library Internet computer. Selection policies that determine materials purchased by the library do not apply to internet usage. Due to ever expanding technology, not all staff members will be trained in every application available through the Internet. An Internet trained staff member will not be available at all times when the library is open. Books and materials are offered at the library to help patrons use the Internet on their own.
Adopted 2/5/98; Revised 4/27/06, 7/12/12, 10/13/16, 04/18/18
Wireless Network Policy
The Hartland Public Library offers wireless access to Library patrons for use with personal notebooks, laptops, and other mobile Internet devices. These access points are unsecured portals to the Library's Internet service, provided at users' own risk and accessible during regular Library hours. All wireless users are expected to act in a lawful and respectful manner, and are required to conform to the conditions of Hartland Library's Internet Use Policy.
Although the Library makes every effort to provide secure access to the Internet, users are at risk for loss or theft of information and should take appropriate cautions with personal information while using Library computers. Information being transmitted could potentially be intercepted by another wireless user.
Use of the Library's wireless network is entirely at the risk of the user. The Hartland Library is not responsible for any information that is compromised or lost through use of its wireless access. This includes damage or loss due to:
- Electrical surges
- Breaches of security by viruses or hacking
- Disruptions to wireless service
Staff cannot provide you technical assistance in configuring your portal device or troubleshooting wireless access problems. The library is not responsible for an changes you make to your computer's settings. The Library does not guarantee that your device will work with the Library's wireless access.
Standard computer stations are available for use with public printers.